Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Bucket List

Today marks 5 months that I’ve been in Spain. 5 MONTHS! I can’t believe it. These last 5 months have gone by so quickly, and I can definitely say that I’ve done a lot. But there is, however, so much more that I would like to do before returning to the U.S.
My official date to return to the U.S. is June 30th, but I might have to leave a couple of days earlier. With that being said, I have less than 5 months left in Spain. Knowing that half of my time here has already passed puts a lot of things in perspective for me. There are still so many things that I want to do while I am here, so I decided to make a Spanish Bucket List to figure out the things that I would still like to accomplish while I'm in Spain. These things aren’t in any particular order:

#6: Attend a Flamenco Show
 1. Keep a blog and write in it often. It took a long time to start it up but it’s finally done!
 2. Find at least one traditional Spanish dish to make and perfect it. Paella Maybe?
 3. Take a solo weekend trip.
 4. Have a long conversation with a Spanish abuelo.
 5. Swim in the Mediterranean.
 6. Attend a Flamenco Show, or Several. Done, once in Granada, but I’d like to attend more
 7. Go to a Fútbol (soccer) Game. (Or watch an entire Fútbol game from start to finish).
 8. Take a Dance class. Went to two classes with my roommate, but we didn’t like it. I’d like to find another.
 9. Read a great Spanish book. Currently I’m reading Arráncame la Vida, but it’s by a Mexican author.
10. Start learning another language. Done, I have been taking Valencian classes for over 4 months.
11. Devote a day to doing community service. Community service is very hard to encounter in Spain, especially where I live.
12. Find a favorite Spanish television program. Done, "Aida."
13. Go on a Spontaneous day trip.
14. Hike the 5-hour trail in Jávea. 
#22: Eat New Things
15. Prepare some homemade churros and chocolate.
16. Try out a new sport.
17. Speak with/Interview Donato Ndongo-Bidyogo, a famous Equatorial Guinean writer.
18. Cook an American dinner for my roommates.
19. Host a party at my piso. Already have a date set, Cinco de Mayo!
20. Take a cooking class.
21. Get a library card, and utilize it often.
22. Eat new things that you have never wanted to try. So far I’ve tried rabbit, fish, lamb, calamari, mussels and probably a lot of other things.
23. Attend a Bull Run/Bull Fight.
24. Take a class with Spanish locals. Done, I take an aerobics class twice a week with residents of Jávea.
25. Start running by the sea in the mornings. Will do as soon as it gets warmer outside.
26. Take part in a local village fiesta.
27. Go to a theatre performance.
28. Find a Church of Christ in Spain and attend a church service.
29. Find some bridal favors for my sister’s wedding activities.
#32: Party like a Spaniard (Madrid)
30. Attend a wine-tasting.
31. Walk around town interviewing Spaniards.
32. Party like a Spaniard (as in, until 6/7 in the morning). No, but came close when I was in Madrid (5 a.m.)!
33. Sit outside a Spanish café for hours, observing the surroundings. Done, but not solo.
34. Talk with some people from Equatorial Guinea about their experiences in Spain.
35. Travel within Spain: Madrid, Sevilla, Granada, Barcelona, Valencia, Alicante, Córdoba, Bilbao, San Sebastián, Salamanca
36. Travel outside of Spain: France, Italy, U.K. (High on my priority list). Portugal, Germany , Greece, Austria, Hungary, Switzerland, Belgium, Morocco (Not a priority,  but I’d still like to visit these places)
Creating this list has definitely given me much to look forward to as I continue my journey in Spain. As you can see, a lot of these things I have yet to accomplish. If I don’t get through everything on the list, I won’t be upset, but it will be interesting to see what I am able to achieve.  
Occasionally, I will keep updating the list in future blog entries as I accomplish more things.

No comments:

Post a Comment